Pixel 4: Google’s new improved camera comes with a great phone, too
Not everything was leaked. Direct from ‘Made by Google’ event, Matthew Miller and Jason Cipriani share one disappointment and a pleasant surprise. Read more: https://zd.net/2BeFvZx
Our editors hand-picked these products based on our tests and reviews.
After Google’s Pixel event on Tuesday, we now have a final roster of 2019 flagship smartphones. Unless there’s some sort of surprise event, the main offerings you’ll find any carrier stores through the end of the year include Google’s Pixel 4, Apple’s iPhone 11, and Samsung’s Galaxy S10.
The Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL are available for preorder right now and will begin shipping next week.
Often, it’s helpful to look at the specifications and features of a few devices compared to one another. Here’s a comparison of the Pixel 4, Galaxy S10, and the iPhone 11 Pro.
Specifications only tell part of the story, of course, but give us a good starting point when setting expectations for how a phone should perform. There are other tangibles, such as software features and customizations, that also impact overall performance.
Apple’s App Store and iOS/Mac OS ecosystem is a distinct advantage to some, while others don’t like the control Apple exerts over its platforms. It’s still too early to tell, but Google’s camera software appears to give the Pixel 4’s camera an advantage — particularly at night. Samsung’s One UI and its suite of Galaxy devices and services create an ecosystem in its own right.
There’s not a clear cut “winner” on this chart, and it’s hard to recommend just one phone, but if you had to pick one, which would it be? Arguably, there’s a case to be made that the $699 iPhone 11 is the best for a smartphone available right now, even though it’s not included on this list.
‘Made by Google’
- Pixel 4 and Pixel 4 XL: Where to find the best deals
- New Google devices: Prices, release dates, and where to buy
- Pixel 4: Too weak, late, and expensive
- Pixel 4: Release date, specs, features
- Google’s new improved camera comes with a great phone, too
- Pixel 4, Pixelbook Go, Nest: More about software, ambient system strategy than hardware
- Google’s new Pixel Buds are designed to take on the wireless earbud competition
- Pixelbook Go: Google gives enterprise up to competitors to focus on the masses
- Pixel 4 storage fail (ZDNet YouTube)
- Google Pixel 4 event 2019: Everything Google announced (CNET)
- Google Pixel 4 features that business users will need (TechRepublic)